Wednesday, September 16, 2015

"Coming Home" -2 page comic B&W Devon Bragg





Coming Home



Based off my grandfather's journey home from WW2. The goal was to provide a grungy dirty look while keeping  the black and white requirements. Although my grandparents did not live in the middle of a lake, they did live on the edge of a river that had only a ferry as means of transportation. Unfortunately, the ferry had been scrapped for metal as supplies for the war, which required my grandfather to swim across the mile-wide river. 

I attempted to incorporate bits and pieces of my grandparents personal stories into the comic. Such as: my grandmother always believed that toads facing the house meant bad luck, but when they faced away, a life changing experience was due to happen. Hence the toad in the first panel. Their house was constantly covered in ivy and they always kept their french renaissance mailbox and door handle. They also kept three minnows for several years in a cereal bowl, originally to be used as fishing bait, but they "were just so damn spooky looking, no trout would want the blasted things", stated my grandfather, so my grandmother adopted them. They were named Hitchcock, Edgar, and Conrad; after the top horror authors and script writers: Alfred Hitchcock, Edgar Allen Poe, and Joseph Conrads. 

No comments:

Post a Comment